Friday 15 August 2008

My Berlin.... Georgia



My Berlin


We all know that Berlin is deliciously diverse; a city that never sleeps; a one-stop-shop of a place, which offers something for every type of person... That’s Berlin!
And that is Berlin. But my Berlin isn’t mine because of what it is to other people...
My Berlin is mine because we are kindred spirits.
Though I’m 21 and the city dates back some 800 years, Berlin and I are both relatively young. And yet, a hell of a lot has happened in our respective lifetimes. In growing up we’ve had some awesome parties; we’ve seen some significant people come and go, and we’ve won and lost battles (though admittedly mine were of a little less importance, internationally). We enjoy reminiscing and occasionally dwell on the past but, for the most part, we have embraced change and relish it. And they say we’ve still got bright, shining futures ahead of us.
Berlin and I can be serious and we do value the importance of good, honest, hard work. But we know all too well how difficult it can be to get anything done at all when the beer is this good; when the Reichstag looks so pretty at night, and when there’s ice-cream that looks like spaghetti, for crying out loud.
Berlin and I fall in love at least a dozen times a day, be it with the perfect kebab; or the new sound everyone’s excited about; or that guy on the U-Bahn we just know is going places...
We are loved by those who matter and both Berlin and I appreciate our people and know for a fact that we’d be lost without them.
OK, so we may be a little cash-strapped just now. And it’s hard to imagine a time when we won’t still be paying off credit cards, student loans, reparations... But there is absolutely no way that we’re going to let that stop us having a seriously good time right now. In my eyes, that’s the spirit of Berlin. She is what she is and that’s it.

“I love Berlin because I’m completely lost half the time but I never really get that Oh-shit-where-am-I?! feeling.”



Georgia’s Top 10
(in the order they popped into her head)

10. Fotoautomat
9. Badeschiff
8. Prenzlauerberg
7. Reichstag/ Brandenburg Gate by night
6. Currywurst
5. Free Magazines
4. Hoffest
3. Freiluft Kino Kreuzberg
2. Stiefelkombinat Berlin
1. Spaghetti-Eis

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi hi hi! So this is really just a shameless plug...
I've uploaded a few of my reviews at my own blog. Have a look at

http://guffdoesberlin.blogspot.com

Cheeeeeers!

xG